Sunday, September 26, 2010

I have a dream of the arts in Snellville

At the end of a newspaper article about me it said, "She said she's hoping to be able to do more to promote the art community in Snellville in the coming years. "

I am hoping, but I think we'll all have to get ready to gear up for something more than just hoping. Hoping sort of sounds like sitting around with a "maybe" plan. It's pretty iffy.

When you think about Snellville, the arts are lacking. People want more art and music. The Snellville Tourism and Trade Association is picking things up, offering a Beatles tribute band concert on October 23rd.

I have a vision of a Snellville Art and Music Festival, with only local artists and only local bands playing. If we can dream it, we can make it happen. I just need to get my youngest into kindergarten! lol! But, we will determine whether the arts will grow in Snellville, or are we going to deprive our children of the joy, unless they want to drive to Duluth, Suwanee or downtown to get arts?

I also have a dream of a Snellville Arts and Cultural Center (or Arts and History Center). Number one would be joining forces and getting some kind of annual event going. As we get established, we could grow to have an arts center. (Stop and visualize this for a moment. You're an artist, you can visualize it!)

It's difficult to dream these big dreams when the economy is so bad. But the economy won't always be this bad, and there are companies and people who will recognize that the arts are integral to helping make Snellville an attractive place to start or relocate businesses, and to live.

If we as artists sit back expecting someone else to care about the arts and make this happen, it's not going to happen. So prepare yourself to step up if we want anything like this to become a reality.

If you want to help me by at least being on my go-to or contact list for when we want to get this party started, email me at darla.dixon@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment